June 30, 2012

Job Done But Overdue By One Month

New Expertise to be Honed
Perhaps that's the way God planned it for me.


The job came out of the blue. Alex phoned and put me  to the contact.  I caught the opportunity;thought it was a good start as any to migrate away from teaching English which was getting more annoying as I began to lose home tuition students. For one reason or another, they had valid excuses to stop classes. I did not begrudge them.


Once I agreed that I could handle the translation job within 10 clear days without any problem, the problems sprouted legs and put me into a spin.


After finding that I had problems with nomenclature, there was no choice but to start liaising with the principals and no longer only through my contact who was awarded the job.


Translation can be one illusive job. I took an additional week to finish the work. The work started on 22rd May and should complete by midnight,1st June. It was not to be. I took another 7 days, slogging through drooping eyelids with my brain utterly dead to translation.  Staring at a sentence and not even making sense tells me that it's time to hit the pillow.


Then,what do you know? Murphy, in a jester suit,  came by to say,"Hello!".


So, my lady contact told me; we had a new version to be translated. The old one that I translated was an interim unauthorized copy.What a waste of effort!


So, it was back to the chopping board with my days and nights on the chopping board. 


Today, 30th June and 29 days late, the project finally ended.


What a relief but it is a feather to my cap as I am about to create a new portfolio of experience and track record in copy-writing and translation.


So, God willing, this year will be set apart for a new course-anew literary adventure of sorts! Amen.

No comments: