January 22, 2010

Jennifer Beals-An Uncut Diamond




I watched again 'Flashdance' yesterday. I think I did not get the full essence of the movie back then. This time around, the story-line was clearer to me. The protagonist, Alexandra Owens, a welder by day and a night-club dancer by night, is desirous on attending a prestigious dance school. The movie tells us of her trials and tribulations as well as her friends who worked at the bar.

The music by Giorgio Moroder was pulsating and the songs that the used in the movie like 'Maniac' by Michael Sombelo and 'Gloria' by the late Laura Branigan punches the film at the right spots. Yes, there was that famous Irene Cara theme number too.

What I saw in this movie was the beauty of Jennifer Beals. Of mixed parentage(An African-American father and an Irish mother),she was downright vivacious and have a pretty face to match. Believe me, she graduated from Yale. She turned down most of the great film roles to continue her education and married very early too.

Pity, she did not get far on film, though she co-stars currently in "The L Word" on TV.

No comments: