July 30, 2012

Seoul Days

The mighty Han River with Seoul in the Background

Were they soulless days?

Was the short stay of about three weeks life-changing?

Another public office junket?

One thing-as I reflect of those days.

True, it was a new place. The people were almost Chinese though they speak differently.

I only knew one great word you must have-the Korean equivalent of toilet to be able to be at peace with yourself biologically.

Mostly, it was  on my colleague and  friend, Harun Masri from days gone by at the Ministry of Science, Technology and the Environment.

Harun was one odd chap. I do not fault him being a Muslim in a strange land . But what I like about him was his sheer determination when doing things in Korea. He hardly touch Korean food but he shopped for cheap coats and Korean silk ties like as if there will be no tomorrow.

Together with a Filipino buddy, we would shop from Tong-daemon (Northern City Gate) to Nan-daemon (Southern City Gate).

When I wanted a lunch or dinner partner, I go over to Harun's hotel room.

My search for a meal ended there because Harun would be cooking in his room. Rice and  sardines, Maggie mee (noodle) and clear soups. I shared his food.

Sadly, I came to know many years later that Harun passed on because of lung cancer.

A pharmacist, an R&D grant administrator as well as a computer expert wannabe, Harun had spunk.

I do remember him well even though he is no longer here any more.

No comments: