February 11, 2012

Safe House: Good but not great

Hot, Dirty Johannesburg is the Setting

Just went to a premier show of 'Safe House' last Wednesday.

So, what do I have to say, in comment?

I think that it has its share of action and particularly noise and destruction.

Let us look at its main stars.

Ryan Reynolds is still on his way to become a genuine he-man hero as he still has that pretty boy look despite his 'Green Lantern' superhero role. I think he is more suitable for comedies and love stories such as 'The Proposal'.

Denzel Washington-having played so many tough guy roles after 'Training Day' and "Man on Fire', I think the audience is pretty tired of his action, no matter how hard he tries-I think he has hit the ceiling.

Vera Farmiga-fresh new face. I did not see,'Up there in the Air' so I cannot comment on her acting. She played such a peripheral role here. I like her Ukrainian looks, though.

'Safe House' cannot be differentiated from so many movies of its genre. Its fast pace action particularly the car chases, reminds one of James Bond movies but this one really pales in comparison to The Bourne Trilogy.

As fair comment, go see it for the action but do it with an open mind.

No comments: