January 09, 2010

Malaysia: Don't We Mourn the Death of English?


All night yesterday, I was going through the new text of the English component of Literature for the 1119 English Paper for SPM beginning 2010. It was raining continuously outside. After completing the task, I reflected. Some of the poems and articles were well chosen,mind you. I like some of the poems but there was something not right on the novellas and the play.

Let me give my views on top of my head.

A: THE POEMS COMPONENT

In the Midst of Hardship: Well translated and very profound using a fantastic breadth of imagery. Very agrarian. Should appeal to the Malaysian psyche.

He Had Such Quiet Eyes: A beautifully written poem by Bibsy Soenharjo. Simple and at once impact-ful poem telling the innocence of a girl and the trap laid for her by an amorous lover.

Nature: Another well-chosen poem describing nature in the West Indies. Very colourful use of words and imagery.

Are You Still Playing Your Flute: One of the more lofty poem attempting to crossbreed Malaysian politics,sad realities and art. A higher level of understanding of Malaysian politics will stand a student in good stead here.The way it is written is reflective of 'Isle of Innisfree'.

B: THE SHORT STORIES COMPONENT

QWERTYUIOP: An interesting short story. The level of English is fit for Primary 6. That it is chosen for Upper Secondary English is hard to believe. I am upset.

THE FRUITCAKE SPECIAL: A simple story. Again the level is just too low for Upper Secondary English. Another disappointment here.


GULP AND GASP: An interesting play. I think this is still very simple for Upper Secondary. It will be right for Form 3. However, this comical play does give students an exposure to an English play particularly the literary devises used. That will be the only redeeming point, if at all that I can see. I will just tolerate this selection.

Now,do you still wonder why I am upset?

No comments: