December 28, 2009

Najib: My Testimony for 2009

I append a posting from Premier Najib. In his blog, he penned his thoughts on the past 12 months, 9 of which he held the helm of the nation.[My comments are in parantheses.]

On his blog (www.1malaysia.com.my), Najib posted a year-in-review piece yesterday (28 December 2009) that reflects on the hurdles the country has faced and overcome, while sounding upbeat about prospects for 2010.

“At the start of 2009, I forecast a year full of challenges for us all, which would require the collective efforts of all Malaysians to overcome,’ says Najib, who became Malaysia’s sixth prime minister in April.

On the “1 Malaysia — People First, Performance Now” concept he introduced, Najib says he is “happy” that Malaysians have responded to his efforts to explain the value of 1 Malaysia.[The purity of the essence may be there but the tangible picture is still blur.]

The concept was set up to strengthen relationships and cooperation among the multi-racial community and calls on people to contribute towards the peace, stability and development of the nation.[ Sounds very much like the early Merdeka years.]

“More significantly, as my work took me around the country, I witnessed many occasions that proved the 1 Malaysia concept is a long-standing practice, from the communities in Sarawak, to the people of Sabah,” Najib says. “These moments give me great comfort that we are on the right path towards greater unity and prosperity.” [ You may be right here but your followers all have different understanding just like the 6 Blind Man and the elephant.]

On the economy, he says the government “braced ourselves” for the impact of the global economic downturn at the start of the year. This led Najib to turn to the Internet to seek suggestions from Malaysians on a stimulus package that was eventually tabled in March.[Very wise of you. After all they are your collective brainpower!]

“In an effort to liberalise the economy and shift to a better national economic model, I announced some reforms in June, which included the deregulation of Foreign Investment Committee guidelines,” he says. “The new national budget occupied much of my attention in October. Again, I invited you to share Budget 2010 ideas. In response, I received more than 400 comments and emails.” [Another new dialogue has been put in place.]

The prime minister’s first year in office coincided with the 35th anniversary of Malaysia-China relations, the highlight of which was his inaugural visit to China as prime minister, retracing his father’s steps.[The nostalgia must be heart-moving!]

Najib traveled to France in October, and came to Singapore for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Summit in November. He also visited the US, Trinidad and Tobago, Thailand and Denmark.

Last month, Najib launched a Facebook fan page that has drawn such a great response that “the popularity of the page took me by surprise”.

“I was sufficiently motivated to produce a series of special Facebook messages, including a video address on the issue of climate change in December,” he says. “I look forward to meeting my Internet friends and fans in programmes scheduled for next year.

“The year has certainly brought its share of rewards and challenges, but I look forward to 2010, so we can continue to chart our path together towards realising the 1 Malaysia concept in spirit and in practice. I hope you continue to join me in this effort.”

My Take:

He has as yet to list down the top 5 problems besetting the Malaysian community from religion to corruption to the affirmative policy concerns. His KPRAs are great but now we want to see action and not mere slogans which we have seen and heard for the last 51 years.

Can 2010 be a year of corrective policy actions for the people?

No comments: