July 03, 2009

Sweetmeats

Yes, the charsiew-sweetened barbequed pork.

As usual there are claims galore that this charsiew is better than that or that charsiew is the best.

If you are a recognized connoisseur of charsiew, then only you can really tell us professionally the difference between them. Moreover, there must be an established standard to benchmark against.


What makes a good charsiew?. It's as subjective as the fickled preference of our taste-buds.

Let's have some objective criteria to consider.

sweetness
fat content
streaky profile
tenderness

I do not claim to be a food epicure but here is my take.

I do not want the charsiew to be charred.It should not be saccharine sweet but should taste more like honey-cured meats. Yes, it must be tender and should "melt in your mouth" as the saying goes.I do like a certain amount of fat in my charsiew and so a streaky profiled charsiew with about a fifth of fat between lean layers would be visually appetizing and certainly will influence how the taste buds and mind think.

I do not know about the charsiew sold in a special restaurant called Meng Kee in Glenmarie or for that matter at Seremban Favourites Restaurant in Sunway Mas.
What I do know is the charsiew sold behind my house. In the evening, the wan tan mein seller will open shop. A crowd of people will suddenly appear from nowhere and they will take numbers to get their plates of charsiew which they buy as a side dish to accompany rice or noodles. From what I heard, the charsiew is sold by grams and at a premium to most charsiew in Petaling Jaya.

I have not tasted it but I guess, one of these days I will.

No comments: