June 26, 2009

How the Lord Works

This is one great story to show how God works in wondrous ways.

Are you a £5 note or a 20p?

The greatest among you will be your servant.
Matthew 23:11, NIV


One day, a few years ago, I was rushing along as usual in my Volvo,
when the engine cut out and the car stopped. It was pouring with rain
and I didn't have a coat. I saw a red telephone box some way ahead.
There was nothing for it but to grab my handbag, lock the car and run
to the phone box.

By the time I arrived, I was absolutely soaked. I looked in my purse
for a 20p to make a call and found, to my great dismay that I only had
a £5 note.

What could I do now? As complete frustration overwhelmed me, the Lord
spoke, “You have a £5 note and you need a 20p piece”. “Yes, Lord, I
know that!” And the Lord said, “Sometimes, I need you to be a 20p
piece because there are times when a £5 note is useless. Are you
willing to be a 20p piece when I need you to be, or are you always
wanting to be a £5 note?”

I wasn't expecting the Lord to speak to me and I was profoundly
affected. As I considered this challenge, I started to cry (as if I
wasn't wet enough already!) and said, “O Lord, I humble myself afresh
before you and agree. I'm willing to be a 20p piece for You whenever
You need me to be one.”

Through my tears, I looked down to get a tissue from my bag and my
eyes caught sight of a 20p piece in the returned coin slot. How
remarkable of God! I was able to use it to make the call and get the
help I needed.

I've never forgotten that moment. He's the Master, I'm the servant.
It's so important that I'm willing to serve and learn to be
servant-hearted as Jesus Himself was.

Prayer: Lord, teach me today to be wholly available to You, to serve
in whatever way You choose. I'm willing to be a 20p piece whenever You
need me to be one. Help me to learn to be servant hearted. In Jesus'
name, Amen.

No comments: