June 10, 2009

Gobbledygook,Grilling and Greed


I went to the MEASAT AGM this afternoon. They held it at the Mandarin Mutiara Hotel besides KLCC. Bukan main. There was no door-gift and also no cookies or cakes to go with the tea. Speaks volume for the company's respect for minority share-holders.

The meeting started when I got in. The bunch of directors sat facing us. The CEO, a business graduate white-man from Yale yakked away and to me, most of it was gobbledygook. Then came his response to the queries of the Minority Group. The projected slide was atrocious and amateurish and he got a chiding of his life from some brazen shareholder.

In my mind, I thought only one of the directors seems to know what he was talking about, the rest sat perched to their seats like clay pigeons, getting fat on directors' fees.

The CEO took a lot of grilling and as usual sidestepped questions. They always do when they are in a bind. The chairman just paid lip service. Can't expect him to do more.

Then the resolutions were passed and the meeting adjourned for high tea.

And what do you know, the hungry ghosts appeared at the venue. Senior citizens, mostly ladies swooped upon the food and some with open bags dumped the food into these bags for future consumption. Two ladies screamed in pain as trays of tim sum scalded them.

I skipped the tim sum section and went for the satay. Before you can say "Ah!", someone scooped up all the chicken satay and I was fortunate to get half a dozen of beef satays. I got some beehoon and half a sausage bread and started eating.

Meanwhile all around me, there was rushing, pushing and grabbing and squealing.

Absolutely shameless. A woman half bent for age had two plates full of fried rice and meehoon. Can she consumed such quantity?

After having a piece of water melon, a cake and some bread pudding,I took a lift back for home from Kheng Joo and his wife.

The only thing good this day was at the AGM at UEM Land where I received RM10 worth in a Touch and Go Card.

No comments: