May 26, 2009

Board Lot versus Oddlot


Went to the Pos Malaysia AGM today at the Legend Hotel as a proxy. Written clearly at the Registration Desk was the message than only those who have 100 shares could avail themselves to door gifts, have breakfast and buffer lunch. I was a proxy of only one share and so am definitely not entitled. So I had to go to the Help Desk to sort things out.

Fortunately, they decided to give me the full treatment as if I was a board lot shareholder. Lucky me!

Interestingly, I have been informed that in many AGMs,only the first proxy can avail themselves to the so called "goodies". Second proxies get nothing except to attend the meeting. I guess that is one way companies get rid of opportunists that want to capitalise the proxy options!

For me, the message rings loud and clear-You are not out of the woods unless your have a board lot.

Sometimes, odd lots just wouldn't do!

No comments: